Sunday, October 22, 2006

IMHO !! Really?

Excuse me. If you are that humble, you will not have an opinion!! That's the first thought that I ever get when I see that phrase/abbreviation. Now. I continue my not so humble opinion!!!
"Prejudice is a great time saver. You get to form a opinion without wasting time "
E.B. White-- American writer
There are sometimes that I have beheld people being trodden upon by prejudice or preorientation. By preorientation, I mean the premature ideas of a personality formed by an accquaintance. Say : You go to A's party. You have met B who is at the party before sometime. Now B, as soon as you enter, talks about you to C. By the time, you get around to talking to C, you shall have been judged a hundred times, criticised scores more.
If it one thing to form opinions without even have met somebody, it is even worser to tarnish somebody's image without have spoken with them for 10 minutes and that too because they chose to have a different opinion.
For example, you are talking about Asin. A comments that she looks positively ugly. B takes offense immediately. A and B havent even conversed ever and their first talk without having respects for opinions ends up in blows. Will A or B's opinion towards each other help them anywhere else? No. In each's friend circle, they shall be criticised, ridiculed and the extent of their crime magnified a hundred fold.
There was a recent circumstance where my friend was penalised for being close to someone. As always, there was somebody else who wanted to be close to this somebody. Because of pure and uncalled for jealousy, this friend of mine was put to tribulations!!!
I am writing about this for my friend was a victim to it and I realised a few minutes ago that I had been taken for a ride too.
When I am not comfortable with a person's style of doing things, I tell him my opinion and move out. But I dont go about talking about him to all and sundry. Even the closest of my friends shall not know unless I am hurt by the proceedings. If not, it remains a pebble in the well. But I am not adopting the holier than thou attitude.
In an environment like the one America offers, it is possible for us to come out of the narrow thinking and take people as they are and present ourselves the same way without inhibition. We were more powerful in our beliefs and even more in protecting them that we lost track of the notion that everyone has the right to make a decision/have a opinion and stick by it. Also due to the years and years of servility, we adopted the method of passing on things by mouth to ear and spoil the impressions about someone. Again we forget, everybody has a right to form their own opinions.
One of the most irritating forms of opiniations is prejudice. Man!! Have you ever read the "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen. It is one of the most beautiful books I have ever read. It talks about the effects of prejudice in the settings of pre modern England.
Prenotions, prejudgements and prejudice--. Man seems to be enamoured of getting ahead of time. So much that he actually decides a person character at the first mention of the individual.
Sometime before, I was engaged in a pastime with a group of vetti fellow students about judgements and decisions. It was one of the activities that made my mind prompt itself that I should have been teaching management somewhere ( :)) :)).Tsk. Tsk! Conceit!!!)
The game goes like this : The person in D chair shall go ahead and say a word. All others shall guess about it. It maybe an animal, person, thing, place. Only that there shall be only a word and it should be native. Only the phenotic shall help..The word should be put forward with an emotion.
We had very very interesting answers( Chihuahua had the choice of being an romantic hawaiian island or the tallest peak in north eastern Somalia!!) Mary Dream Jane : wow!! The name just evoked the poets in us. :)) :)).
We got to learn that each of us are prejudiced in his or her own way and even the sound of pronunciation of a word (with what emotion it is expressed) completely changed the way we formed opinions. More so when the one in question was a near friend or a relative.
"One often contradicts an opinion when what is uncongenial is really the tone in which it was conveyed." --Friedrich Nietzsche (German scholar)
So why am I am ranting about opinions now that I have umpteen number of them in stock. I realised that as much as I am hurt by opinions that people hold of me, they must also feel bad about the opinions I had about them. But the following quote just quashed it.
"We probably wouldnt worry about what people think of us if we could know how seldom they do"--Olin Miller
The worst worst worst opinion I ever ever ever heard about me was when somebody at a local office enquired my accquaintance if I was gay. "It was a joke, of course", laughed my friend with nervous laughter. This was formed from her pronunciation of my name "GAYathri".
I WAS SO GODDAMNED ******* ************djhgfsjf #$%$@#$ ##!$$%#$%#% that I went
berserk in the office and stomped out amid flying debris. I had 10 boyfriends invented out of thin air but that was before I read this :
" I never make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect" : Edward Gibbon(English Historian)
And when people you have never met end up thinking ill about you. Then. Then you will know what hate is. If you find the person who was responsible for it. !! Or rather if I find that person!!.
Think of this :
You are being invited very graciously to a party. The members at the party(or so you think) are absolutely new people and you are looking forward to meet them and form a new gang. You turn up looking like a fresh lily and some jealous nut comments "She looks like she will steal your boyfriend". Gone are the chances you will ever find a sympathetic let alone an emphathetic listener.
So I sum up, at the risk of being at your opinion's end, You try and get yourselves a opinion on everything in this world. Then. Then. Then you will realise that you are being talked about much and remain the centre of attention.
Otherwise send looks that are daggers across and pray that they are dead and talk about them after that!!!
Have a great day. Week. Month. Whatever. Your choice. Your opinion. I dont care about it!! I really dont. As far as they are against me!!
Vox Populi! Vox Dei!
Welcome to the club Mi Lord!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pride and Prejudice... Keira Knightley...

Thanks for reminding, Hamsa ;)

Vanjula said...

@ nash,
my comments : reserved

@ nirmal,

aha!! samandhame illama yen saar keria knightleya ezukareenga??

avanga etho pavam deime nu ukkandhu erukanga!!!

ennomo.. My opinion: KK :awesome in POTC.

Anonymous said...

Hmm.. Ok.
Today's lesson: I should watch POTC

vasu said...

Yeah, very true. If you ask me, I would personally go to their house and turn those gossip-mongers inside out. Joking of course, I would rather tear them off. ;)

Anonymous said...

Vasu,
All gossip kings wait for such moments. If you do so, they think their gossips had that great values :(

sada said...

it was funny to read but had to empathize with the victim. This reminds me of Don't judge or rather pre-judge lest thou shall be pre-judged!

oakleyses said...

michael kors outlet, louboutin shoes, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany and co, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses cheap, kate spade outlet, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet store online, polo ralph lauren, michael kors outlet online sale, michael kors outlet, louboutin, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, nike shoes, coach factory outlet, air max, longchamp handbags, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, polo ralph lauren outlet, air max, prada outlet, coach purses, burberry outlet, nike free, jordan shoes, michael kors outlet, gucci outlet, chanel handbags, louboutin outlet, burberry outlet, tory burch outlet, true religion jeans, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin, coach outlet, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, true religion jeans

oakleyses said...

louis vuitton uk, air max pas cher, timberland, polo lacoste, hogan outlet, air max, longchamp, polo ralph lauren, michael kors, hollister, north face, barbour, air jordan, sac louis vuitton, true religion outlet, nike free, lululemon outlet online, nike blazer, nike roshe run, nike tn, nike free pas cher, louboutin, air force, michael kors, sac louis vuitton, vanessa bruno, ray ban sunglasses, ralph lauren, nike roshe, hollister, true religion outlet, converse pas cher, sac burberry, north face, longchamp, sac hermes, mulberry, oakley pas cher, hollister, new balance pas cher, air max, sac guess, nike huarache, vans pas cher, abercrombie and fitch, sac longchamp, ray ban pas cher, louis vuitton, nike trainers, michael kors pas cher, nike air max

oakleyses said...

nike roshe run, birkin bag, ugg, reebok outlet, uggs, lululemon outlet, canada goose, new balance shoes, p90x, ugg australia, mcm handbags, canada goose outlet, herve leger, ugg boots clearance, chi flat iron, jimmy choo outlet, canada goose jackets, marc jacobs, soccer shoes, instyler, ferragamo shoes, abercrombie and fitch, mac cosmetics, soccer jerseys, valentino shoes, giuseppe zanotti, bottega veneta, north face jackets, rolex watches, mont blanc, ghd, ugg boots, wedding dresses, insanity workout, asics running shoes, vans shoes, north face outlet, uggs outlet, babyliss pro, nfl jerseys, beats by dre, celine handbags, canada goose, ugg pas cher, ugg boots

oakleyses said...

air max, canada goose, pandora charms, montre homme, iphone 6 cases, timberland boots, converse shoes, hollister, juicy couture outlet, moncler, juicy couture outlet, lancel, moncler outlet, canada goose, converse, supra shoes, moncler, swarovski, thomas sabo, moncler, pandora charms, vans, karen millen, ugg, ralph lauren, hollister, canada goose uk, moncler, coach outlet store online, ray ban, gucci, canada goose, parajumpers, moncler, air max, hollister clothing store, louboutin, toms shoes, ugg, baseball bats, swarovski crystal, oakley, moncler, links of london, wedding dresses, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, rolex watches