Thursday, September 28, 2006

I love you Mommyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Intha ulagathuliya ammangra orava than Emperuman kooda vilai mathipillathatha consider panrar nu nenaikaren. Even alwar sings of the Lord, as " petra thaiyinum aayina seiyum" and nayanmar as "thaiyinum sala parinthootum". When Karaikal ammaiyar comes to Kailayam, Lord Siva refers to her as "my mother".

I was thinking about how my life was being shaped and what I am coming to. I needed to think about my positives and remembered that I had one awesome mom and dad combo in the world.

amma.

Na kanna moodum pothey kanlernthu thanni varathu. If I had a fixture ever in my life, it has been mom, mom and mom all the way. She has been with me all through my 23 years. I left her to come for the US and it has been one decision I think I shall live to regret.

The first thing that I can ever remember when I look beyond all these years to the point when I was a small kid is my mom. Hugging me, scolding me, Kissing, Laughing, crying, caring..A kaleidoscope of emotions play their colours with me.

Her long hair plaited neatly. I have my hands fully into it and am pulling it to pieces. :) Amma, patiently holding me in her arms. I am just 2.

Amma dressing me in a beautiful Pattu pavadai. It is karthigai and I am being an handful by pouring oil out of the lamps, blowing the lights off... I am still 2.

Me getting lost. Amma sobbing her heart out. Amma looks so so beautiful. Slim, mentally very strong, amma. I am three. I have just started school.

Four. I am learning lessons from her. She is so impatient. She does not even want me making a single mistake.:) Appa takes over as my teacher. I am 4.

As I grow up. Amma grows up too. I see her becoming old. Her mental resolve shaken by numerous visits to the hospital for appa. Our very life a question mark. I close my eyes.

I start going to the dance class. I can see the pride in her face as she tells her collegues that I am learning Bharatnatyam. I make childish gestures and see the pride brimming in her face. I am 6.

I think I just ran through my childhood. Lots and lots of friends. Happy as a street urchin. For the first time, I see consternation writ on her face. "Ulla podi. Eru appa varatum".. I think I am 10.

12,13,14...life runs as in a race. Is that me?
I remember how proud she was when the Adarsh principle said, "Your daughter has very good marks. I shall be happy to have her here". I replied, "I shall be happy in DAV". Amma, feeling that she had done me an injustice. I am 15.

wow!! In a saree looking like a 20 year old. In my high school graduation. I am 17. The first time I wore a saree, it was mom's. A lovely Kancheevaram saree folded with care. Smelling of mom. As I wore it, I felt the love that enveloped me.

Amma. Patiently tying my long long hair into a plait. Poo chuthi, rakhkodi, mattal. I am looking like a bride. The next day, I cut my hair. That which had taken mom 10 years to grow. Gone in a single second. I came home and for the first time mom cried. I cried with her. Any number of sorries would not suffice and as a punishment my hair never grew long then a few inches.

I am into SVCE. Quiet as a door mouse. Amma terribly worried about my personality. She talks of incessant dullness in me. I am not responding. I dont even look at her in her face. Those four years. A recurring theme in my life. The utter unhappy state that I left my family in..I am 21.

Amma. Listening to the reports that my relative had to make at my cousin's wedding. "Sugantha. Gayathri samathu. Romba nanna eruka. Aduthathu ava kalyanam than.". 21 still.

My first proposal. "Sugantha, unga ponna en paiyanukku...". Mami kovilla keeta odana, amma so happy. Her face shining with absolute happiness. Me. Flat no. Her face falling to the floor. Me. Taking no notice.
Amma Kaal operation. She is just back from hospital. I have to take a dress to tailor. Am shouting at mom. "Amma, seekiram vamma. Poganum. neram achu. kelambu ma. nee enaku ethuvume seiya matengra"..

Amma runs. Falls down again.Second operation. Everything because of me. Her leg has never been allright till date. Because of me. All tears and prayers havent been enough. Am 22.

"Amma. Na America poganum. Financial status kku paisa venum. Enna panna pora?" -- Me, 22
Visa rejected. Amma positive about it. I shouting at her in her face. -22

Kadana vudana vangi. Amma. Showing 40 lakhs. Wistful. "Appa ku mattum odambu sariya eruntha!!!"..22

Lufthansa.."See ya mom."- 23
Amma crying. Me too. -23

I think I have never realised how strong our parents have been. I guess most of us have worked our way up from the poverty line to the middle class and upper middle class only because of the fortitude of amma and appa.

My mom is still young. Young at heart. She, who could not have more than 2 sarees when she was young. At whom lifes atrocities were heaped.She went to work at 18. She has never stopped till date. Rain/shine/illness nothing has stopped her. When she buys me sarees, she feels the happiness as though she wears it. She beholds her younger periods at every instant of my life. She has watched me grow as though I was herself. She has given me everything she has and much more. Forgetting all her disappointments and failures, she has worked to make me a success. Her shopping sense. Her way of dealing with things. Her ever righteous behaviour. Her prayer for the best of everyone. Her fears and expectations of the aspect of my marriage. The pleasure she proposes at having to choose my husband.

Amma.

I cant be even half good at being a mother as she is.

Thanks God. Whoever you are. You are. For my mom is the living proof of it.

15 comments:

xyz said...

Well said!!! Hundred percent!.What we are now is just because of them. the best way to repay is to grow the future generation as we were brought up. Unceratin whether at least 10 percent of that could be done!..Kudos to this post!

Vanjula said...

@xyz,
thanks. drop in often.
@nash,
machi, nejamave parents gara varthaya avoid pannanum than na no marriage nu kathikittu eruken.

appa amma va erukarthu romba kashtam. It is not only an obligation to the kid, it is to the society too. and "selflessnes".romba periya vartha man!!!

Anonymous said...

I always cry when I think of my mom's age and the struggles she made in her young life. Though children like us would be able to provide them whatever they dream now, it's really a doubt whether they will enjoy them as they would have in their younger age.

There is no other sacrifice greater than this. It's like someone wasting their whole life just for some other's pleasure. When we could not even imagine such sacrifices, how would we be able to implement them? A question left unanswered...

Vanjula said...

Nirmal,
bang on target as usual. yeah, Something that just cant be imagined by any of us. We raise even babies in separate rooms while amma has toiled with us hand and foot day and night..
I guess these, for a child people would even be ready to pay somebody money to get them a ready made child!!!!
whats the world coming to??

dinesh said...

Touching!

You seem to have a terrific memory of your childhood. Nice write up. I enjoyed it.

Vanjula said...

dinesh,
thanks a lot :)) do drop in.

Prakash G said...

nice. Appa'va irukrathu easy'nu ninachitu irunthaen. till seeing t. thavamirunthu :)
unmayilaye aacharyamaa thaan irukku. who knows may be appa aana paasam ellam iyarkayaa varumo ennavo?. aambalayaa porathanthula ore kashtam amma aaga mudiyaathu.

neega svce entha year passed out? naanum anga thaan padichaen (appadiyaa prakash?) 2001 passed out.

Vanjula said...

hey prakash!!,
intha commentum eppo than pathen.sorry..
yeah. maybe neenga solratha na nenache pakkala. appava erukarthu epdi erukum? am laughing!!!
ennomo..

thanks though for a very different line of thought.

Anonymous said...

Very moving post!!!! Loved it a lot... made me cry, i started thinking of my mother.... :)

Vanjula said...

@anon,
:)..

Jambulingam said...

I am a Central Government retired employee of 65 years age. Got one female child whose life not settled properly. Myself and my wife are taking care of her only male child. I was not good with my mother because of some younger age confrontation. But now a days I feel for my behavior. But it is too late since my mother passed away in 1975. The narration brought tears in my ears. I am able to recollect my childhood. The narration is exactly what I had in my childhood. Sometimes, I plead, weep, beg for my pardon. All are in vain. Such narration may change the mind of younger ones. Good.

oakleyses said...

michael kors outlet, louboutin shoes, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany and co, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses cheap, kate spade outlet, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet store online, polo ralph lauren, michael kors outlet online sale, michael kors outlet, louboutin, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, nike shoes, coach factory outlet, air max, longchamp handbags, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, polo ralph lauren outlet, air max, prada outlet, coach purses, burberry outlet, nike free, jordan shoes, michael kors outlet, gucci outlet, chanel handbags, louboutin outlet, burberry outlet, tory burch outlet, true religion jeans, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin, coach outlet, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, true religion jeans

oakleyses said...

louis vuitton uk, air max pas cher, timberland, polo lacoste, hogan outlet, air max, longchamp, polo ralph lauren, michael kors, hollister, north face, barbour, air jordan, sac louis vuitton, true religion outlet, nike free, lululemon outlet online, nike blazer, nike roshe run, nike tn, nike free pas cher, louboutin, air force, michael kors, sac louis vuitton, vanessa bruno, ray ban sunglasses, ralph lauren, nike roshe, hollister, true religion outlet, converse pas cher, sac burberry, north face, longchamp, sac hermes, mulberry, oakley pas cher, hollister, new balance pas cher, air max, sac guess, nike huarache, vans pas cher, abercrombie and fitch, sac longchamp, ray ban pas cher, louis vuitton, nike trainers, michael kors pas cher, nike air max

oakleyses said...

nike roshe run, birkin bag, ugg, reebok outlet, uggs, lululemon outlet, canada goose, new balance shoes, p90x, ugg australia, mcm handbags, canada goose outlet, herve leger, ugg boots clearance, chi flat iron, jimmy choo outlet, canada goose jackets, marc jacobs, soccer shoes, instyler, ferragamo shoes, abercrombie and fitch, mac cosmetics, soccer jerseys, valentino shoes, giuseppe zanotti, bottega veneta, north face jackets, rolex watches, mont blanc, ghd, ugg boots, wedding dresses, insanity workout, asics running shoes, vans shoes, north face outlet, uggs outlet, babyliss pro, nfl jerseys, beats by dre, celine handbags, canada goose, ugg pas cher, ugg boots

oakleyses said...

air max, canada goose, pandora charms, montre homme, iphone 6 cases, timberland boots, converse shoes, hollister, juicy couture outlet, moncler, juicy couture outlet, lancel, moncler outlet, canada goose, converse, supra shoes, moncler, swarovski, thomas sabo, moncler, pandora charms, vans, karen millen, ugg, ralph lauren, hollister, canada goose uk, moncler, coach outlet store online, ray ban, gucci, canada goose, parajumpers, moncler, air max, hollister clothing store, louboutin, toms shoes, ugg, baseball bats, swarovski crystal, oakley, moncler, links of london, wedding dresses, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, rolex watches