Monday, August 28, 2006

Madras.. The experience of a lifetime.

Well.

From the first breath I took, I have been enamoured of Chennai. Bred, born and brought up in Chennai, any other town even refuses to be acknowledged as a place worth to live.

Be it in Paris, Madrid, Chicago, New York. My heart beats for Chennai. Any time of my life. Despite all its shortcomings, my city rocks.

This time, when the flight landed at Bombay, I could not still feel as though I was in India. But the flight was delayed by two hours and I was sure the connecting flight was lost to me forever and I could not see the dawn break over Chennai. Disappointed, I took leave of my beloved Bihari.

I walked through a non existent customs check and was rushed through to :::::::::

My flight to MADRAS. It had been waiting for us. It was 4:00 am and I rushed to it as though it was saviour to deliver me from " ".

After a hearty breakfast @ 4:00 am which only Indian Airlines can provide. As a compensation though. The flight was completely empty. It was waiting for us for itwould mean losing passengers. Then after being strongly reminded on Kanchipuram Bus Terminus ,

"Saar, Sriperumbudur, Unndai, Poonthamalli, Porur, Guindy, Ashok Pillar, Koyambedu, eru, eru.. FM radio Mirchi Vandi saar, eru eru. Yamma, antha koodaya eraku. erakku eppo!!!. Poya munnala po edun erukula..eru,...Ticket vanginiya? Kami. sari po. Enga sir pogonum?? (Thirumbi :) Enna sar anga? . erunga saar vandi kelambum.. ellarum vanthathukku appuram..Enna ma anga morappu. eru seekiram. Appan vootu vandiya enna??? Rai rai..(whistle blows) (Yells : somari . vootla soolitu vanthutiya??)"

Literally. Though in high class english, the steward explained to us that the passengers were delayed. The flight could not leave without passengers..high funda operating costs!!! Man!!

I could not even wait for the hour's journey to be over. Impatient to end it quickly, I did the only possible thing : slept off. Then an hour and 10 minutes later..

"Ladies and Gentlemen, In a short while we will be landing in Chennai..MADRASSSSSSS..I was yelling. The guy in the next seat smiled and was surprised at whats so special in this city. He was travelling from Bombay but I, from Lexington!! Only I knew.

The flight touched down. Down know what made it so. But suddenly the region between my shoulder blades expanded to an extent I think not possible at all!!! It could have had 100 hearts at the same time. I thought my heart would thud itself to non existence!! I cried.. As the tears fell unashamedly down my cheeks..I ran out of the aerobridge. Absoultely no customs, no baggage in hand. Ran down the stairs to the baggage claim.........

AMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA....

Mom, being an airlines employee, was waiting right inside next to the customs. Teary reunions and "How I missed you so" and salty kisses later. My baggages came through. Ran outside to met pop and mama. Hmm.

If all reunions were so sweet, then we shall wish for more separations I guess!!. In safe hands(actually crushed between those of my mom, appa and mama), I left for home.

Home again....see you soon.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

If all reunions were so sweet, then we shall wish for more separations...

Being a travel photographer, I happen to travel a lot. And sorrow are the times when I leave behind some short-term friends and a country, which I may or may not visit again.

I am really jealous of you. Since we don't stay at Chennai, my parents can't come to receive me. Every time, I need to add another 4 hours for the very personal rendezvous :)

Vanjula said...

Nirmal,
I know. when u meet new peopple , new journeys..Man I would love to be a travelling corresponding for an international magazine.
By the way, are u attached to any magazine or do you free lance? Where r u right now???

Drop in again...

Unknown said...

Hamsa,
Even I find it interesting to meet new people and places. There are only a few privileged who could enjoy a place or country by its actual essence.

I don't work for any particular magazine, but looking for some international magazine where I could get into. For now, I freelance my work to anyone who values them.

I home at Pondicherry and am currently on a photo assignment for the Tourism of Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur. Will be back to Chennai in a week.

What do you do? I believe that you're in a Graduate school in Kentucky. Possibly, University of Kentucky?

oakleyses said...

michael kors outlet, louboutin shoes, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany and co, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses cheap, kate spade outlet, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet store online, polo ralph lauren, michael kors outlet online sale, michael kors outlet, louboutin, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, nike shoes, coach factory outlet, air max, longchamp handbags, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, polo ralph lauren outlet, air max, prada outlet, coach purses, burberry outlet, nike free, jordan shoes, michael kors outlet, gucci outlet, chanel handbags, louboutin outlet, burberry outlet, tory burch outlet, true religion jeans, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin, coach outlet, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, true religion jeans

oakleyses said...

louis vuitton uk, air max pas cher, timberland, polo lacoste, hogan outlet, air max, longchamp, polo ralph lauren, michael kors, hollister, north face, barbour, air jordan, sac louis vuitton, true religion outlet, nike free, lululemon outlet online, nike blazer, nike roshe run, nike tn, nike free pas cher, louboutin, air force, michael kors, sac louis vuitton, vanessa bruno, ray ban sunglasses, ralph lauren, nike roshe, hollister, true religion outlet, converse pas cher, sac burberry, north face, longchamp, sac hermes, mulberry, oakley pas cher, hollister, new balance pas cher, air max, sac guess, nike huarache, vans pas cher, abercrombie and fitch, sac longchamp, ray ban pas cher, louis vuitton, nike trainers, michael kors pas cher, nike air max