Thursday, April 16, 2009

Sendru ser Thiru Vengada Maamalai

There cannot be a Shrine more popular and beloved of all the Hindu shrines than the one of the Lord of the Seven Hill. Thirupati. The Lord’s appellation is Srinivasan from the prehistoric times, named so in the Vishnu Sahasranamam. Thayar Padmavati, Alar mel mangai.

I remember going to Thirupati as a kid. Very vague recollections and almost no memory of the Lord till it pleased Him to call me again and take a good look at how much I had grown. This was during my college days. After which I did get to go a lot of times during the 2 years before I came to the US.

The first time I did get to go back, I was strangely petulant. I had not traveled much to shrines before then and I was unadjusted to the rigors. To tell you the truth, I did not even climb the Hill nor take a public bus. We drove up the Hill in comfort, boarded in a great hotel and ate at a choicy place.

Then took our places in the queue to see the Lord. Hour after hour stretched out without the site of the Temple entrance. The group consisted of my parents, my brother, my mama/uncle and good ole me. For a while I stretched thin the patience of others by being a bundle of energy. Then fought with my brother, discussed philosophy (mine) with my uncle and refused to talk to my parents for not booking a more convenient ticket with which we could have gone straight to the sanctum. But all this did not fill the time. I grew more and more sober and silent and by the time we came to the Gates, I was drooping on my brother’s shoulder and almost in tears. No patience at all.

To be truthful, all the desire of seeing the Lord was gone. I just wanted to go out.

In time we reached the inner sanctum and the frenzy around us rose to a tremendous pitch. Chants of the Lord’s names, prayers, tears, sheer joy and happiness in the face of the people going the other way, solemn urges that they would stand 1000 more hours if need be to catch a glimpse of the Lord’s face. Then I saw the Dharma darshan’s queque. Poor people waiting for hours and hours patiently from the smallest child to the oldest granny. No sign of irritation, hunger, unhappiness or malcontent. It was an awakening. I was ashamed of my behaviour.

It was a few more steps to the Lord’s sanctum. We turned the corner and there He was, resplendent, shining, and amazingly handsome. The time had come. I forgot everything else, shouted the Lord’s name unashamed, happy, tears rolling down my face, forgot all my wishes and desires. Just seeing Him was the balm to all sufferings. I just said, “I love you and will do so for all my life”. Came outside completely rejenuvated. Oh! I will stand 1000 hours for the same darshan. My mom smiled and we went to Mayuri for lunch.

Thirupati has always been a fascinating experience to anyone who goes there. I have heard astounding stories of faith being answered and the instant succor the Lord extends to His devotees.

Swami Ramanuja perceived the Lord in the Hills and through His divine sight found that the entire hill was made of Saligrahmam, a holy stone and crawled on His knees to find the temple and the Lord. The Ramanuja circle in the Lower Tirupati is a small tribute of man to the Acharya who took the Lord by His love. Udaiyavar.

In the older days, before I went back again, if I prayed to Srinivasan, the picture that the TTD released eons ago, the famous “in all homes” picture, came to my thoughts. But after this visit and the subsequent ones, I can recall the Lord as He stands and pray to Him in my mind. Alwar says that one has to visit a divya desam/ temple atleast 3 times for the Lord’s face to be imprinted on to the mind.

My first trip back. It was a lesson. In patience, in humility, in devotion and in faith. It prepared me mentally and physically for my subsequent trips to Ahobilam and other places. I learnt that the Lord chooses to see us in the most appropriate moment. The next time I went to Tirupati, I was at the temple on my birthday, unplanned and not even realized.

Since then, my philosophy of going to temples has been this. If the Lord wants you there, you will be there no matter what. Even if after years of planning, you miss a darshan, it is because there is a better time for Him to see you.

As my cousin laughingly says, “Na Perumala pakkarenangarthu mukkiyam illa. Avar enna pakkararangarthu than mukkiyam.” --- “It is not important whether I see the Lord. But rather that He sees me”.

As Aandal lovingly prays,

“Thingalum Aadithyanum ezuntharpol
annkan erandum kondu engal mel nokkuthiyel,
engal mel sabam ezainthelorempaavai.

“If thou graces to gaze upon us with eyes that shine as though the moon and the sun shine together, all the sins upon us be done to perdition.”

My Lord! Thy will be done.

8 comments:

arethusa said...

I can so relate to whatever you have written. Great post.

Vanjula said...

@arethusa,
Thanks. It is faith I guess we experience. untangible though it may seem..

Vanjula

Compassion Unlimitted said...

Unmai..Yes one can visit Him,see Him or rather He can see you only when He wants to see you !!
Many years since He has called me.. The last time I had the opportunity to climb( as I had done several times in the past)..
Tears well up as I realize Ii may not be possible to to climb up again ,age perhaps has caught up with me and associated Joint pains.

Made me very nostalgic,Thanks !!

Lucky you.. Pray well, pray well for the troubled Humanity too
TC
CU

Vanjula said...

@CU,
Ungalala kandippa mudiyum..:)) take the first step and try to go..I pray that you will see Him soon and as you wish...
regards,
Vanjula.

Asuri Sudarsanan said...

"philosophy of going to temples has been this. If the Lord wants you there, you will be there no matter what"
True... Very true!
This vacation (Dec08-Jan09), had been to Tiruvendipuram, but Desikan Sannidhi was closed, Srirangam - Closed again, Thuupul - Grill drawn and had to peep thru to have a glimpse, Tiruvallur - Closed and even at Mylapore SVDD doors were closed and had to peep thru the bell door to have a sight.

now, back in the US, one of my friends (a native of Tiruvendhipuram) asked me how manytimes in 24 yrs I have ever wanted to have Darshan of him?.. Never... enna ippudi alaya vittu eanga vechadhu nyayam thaan ! :-|

oakleyses said...

michael kors outlet, louboutin shoes, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany and co, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses cheap, kate spade outlet, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet store online, polo ralph lauren, michael kors outlet online sale, michael kors outlet, louboutin, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, nike shoes, coach factory outlet, air max, longchamp handbags, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, polo ralph lauren outlet, air max, prada outlet, coach purses, burberry outlet, nike free, jordan shoes, michael kors outlet, gucci outlet, chanel handbags, louboutin outlet, burberry outlet, tory burch outlet, true religion jeans, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin, coach outlet, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, true religion jeans

oakleyses said...

nike roshe run, birkin bag, ugg, reebok outlet, uggs, lululemon outlet, canada goose, new balance shoes, p90x, ugg australia, mcm handbags, canada goose outlet, herve leger, ugg boots clearance, chi flat iron, jimmy choo outlet, canada goose jackets, marc jacobs, soccer shoes, instyler, ferragamo shoes, abercrombie and fitch, mac cosmetics, soccer jerseys, valentino shoes, giuseppe zanotti, bottega veneta, north face jackets, rolex watches, mont blanc, ghd, ugg boots, wedding dresses, insanity workout, asics running shoes, vans shoes, north face outlet, uggs outlet, babyliss pro, nfl jerseys, beats by dre, celine handbags, canada goose, ugg pas cher, ugg boots

oakleyses said...

air max, canada goose, pandora charms, montre homme, iphone 6 cases, timberland boots, converse shoes, hollister, juicy couture outlet, moncler, juicy couture outlet, lancel, moncler outlet, canada goose, converse, supra shoes, moncler, swarovski, thomas sabo, moncler, pandora charms, vans, karen millen, ugg, ralph lauren, hollister, canada goose uk, moncler, coach outlet store online, ray ban, gucci, canada goose, parajumpers, moncler, air max, hollister clothing store, louboutin, toms shoes, ugg, baseball bats, swarovski crystal, oakley, moncler, links of london, wedding dresses, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, rolex watches