Sunday, July 30, 2006

There and back again..By A.W.Hamsa

The title was inspired by J.R.R.Tolkien. I thought that it would be almost apt to put into words my trip to India and back under the title Bilbo Baggins chose for his Odyssey.

I was very apprehensive about my trip to India akin to Bilbo. I chewed at my hand kerchief..Lamented that I did not want to leave Lexington. Beautiful city that it is. It was a fear of what I would find when I returned home : partly. For amma and appa had been speaking in muted tones about their deteriorating health and my impending wedding. I was totally taken in by their alloyed tones : to the extent of purchasing the return ticket without even getting my onward confirmed till 2 hours before the flight!!!!

The trip home by itself proved to be a superb experience...

I had not a confirmed onward ticket till I got to Chicago. I had to take the AI flight which by itself was overbooked for that day!!! My ticket was an open ticket: I could fly on any date I chose provided the service could find me a seat. The AI Airport manager was mom's friend and I hoped to cajole him into giving me a passage.

My itienery by itself was really funny.
Lexington - Louisville - Chicago --Frankfurt--Bombay--Madras

I travelled the first leg of the journey with a friend from Lex. It was a hot hot summer afternoon with "monsoon" clouds breaking over the top..Lightening and thunder flashed; only to create an impression of delivering succour. We drove to the airport and the trip was quietly pleasant and uneventful..

It was raining gently in Louisville when we stepped into the airport. The weather had taken a pleasanter turn. I took leave of the last familiar soul and stepped into the terminal with high expectations of Chicago.

There was a 24 hour halt at Chicago due to my "last minute planning"..This was definitely something I could have done without. But I euphemised my transit as a pretext to visit UIC to meet "Professors".

Chicago...a bachelor's experience..

Wait for it...

9 comments:

Badhri said...

Impending Wedding! What are the chances of meeting your better-half-to-be during your trip?

I bet the word to describe the feeling is "insecure"!

You in India now? Or on air?

Vanjula said...

I hope to GOD that it is nil. am in India and good old chennai NOW...

And I think I will be the better half. :))

Badhri said...

Of course. I was talking about the other half.

Ah! Chennai. I miss scolding the auto guys. Those in Hyd. are so nice in comparison that it is like a bland thakkali thokku..so uninviting! :)

Vanjula said...

ARE U AN ALTER EGO??i hate this!!!
My blog after my trip back here was going to be on auto drivers.!!!
ennamo idea plaigiarism mathri erukku ennaku!!! :((

Badhri said...

I wonder if it really is "Fools seldom differ" or "Great people think alike".

I hope it is "Chennaites have common complaints". But you know? you are not the only person, there is a post on indiatemple.blogspot.com which criticises Mahabharat for imoralities on part of Pandavas and krishna and guess what, it was discussed OverTea about a year ago.

எங்களோட டப்பா டான்ஸ் ஆடிடுச்சு!

Ref:
[1]http://indiatemple.blogspot.com/2006/05/definition-of-goodness-in-mahabharata.html
[2]http://overtea.blogspot.com/2005_04_01_overtea_archive.html

Badhri said...

Continue with your auto story anyway. It will be a good reality check for the may NRIs (or me atleast)

oakleyses said...

michael kors outlet, louboutin shoes, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany and co, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses cheap, kate spade outlet, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet store online, polo ralph lauren, michael kors outlet online sale, michael kors outlet, louboutin, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, nike shoes, coach factory outlet, air max, longchamp handbags, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, polo ralph lauren outlet, air max, prada outlet, coach purses, burberry outlet, nike free, jordan shoes, michael kors outlet, gucci outlet, chanel handbags, louboutin outlet, burberry outlet, tory burch outlet, true religion jeans, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin, coach outlet, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, true religion jeans

oakleyses said...

louis vuitton uk, air max pas cher, timberland, polo lacoste, hogan outlet, air max, longchamp, polo ralph lauren, michael kors, hollister, north face, barbour, air jordan, sac louis vuitton, true religion outlet, nike free, lululemon outlet online, nike blazer, nike roshe run, nike tn, nike free pas cher, louboutin, air force, michael kors, sac louis vuitton, vanessa bruno, ray ban sunglasses, ralph lauren, nike roshe, hollister, true religion outlet, converse pas cher, sac burberry, north face, longchamp, sac hermes, mulberry, oakley pas cher, hollister, new balance pas cher, air max, sac guess, nike huarache, vans pas cher, abercrombie and fitch, sac longchamp, ray ban pas cher, louis vuitton, nike trainers, michael kors pas cher, nike air max

oakleyses said...

air max, canada goose, pandora charms, montre homme, iphone 6 cases, timberland boots, converse shoes, hollister, juicy couture outlet, moncler, juicy couture outlet, lancel, moncler outlet, canada goose, converse, supra shoes, moncler, swarovski, thomas sabo, moncler, pandora charms, vans, karen millen, ugg, ralph lauren, hollister, canada goose uk, moncler, coach outlet store online, ray ban, gucci, canada goose, parajumpers, moncler, air max, hollister clothing store, louboutin, toms shoes, ugg, baseball bats, swarovski crystal, oakley, moncler, links of london, wedding dresses, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, rolex watches